Captain underpants is a fictional character in the popular children's book series Captain Underpants and the eponymous character. He is the alter ego of Benjamin Krupp created by George Beard and Harold Hutchins. He is we the titular tritagonist of the Captain Underpants series.
- 1 History
- 1.1 the Adventures of Captain Underpants
- 1.2 Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets
- 1.3 Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outerspace (and the subsequent assault of the equally evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds)
- 1.4 Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants
- 1.5 Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman
- 2 Depiction in the Film
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Powers
- 5 Weakness
- 6 Gallery
the Adventures of Captain Underpants
Captain Underpants is a superhero written by George Beard and Harold Hutchins in their comics. After the two hypnotize their principal, they decide to have a little fun and goof around with the Hypno-Ring. They hypnotize Mr. Krupp into thinking he is a chicken, then a monkey, then Captain Underpants. Unfortunately for them, Mr. Krupp thinks he truly is Captain Underpants and jumps out then window to fight crime. His first stop is at a bank. The two robbers are paralyzed with laughter upon seeing him and are promptly arrested. Captain Underpants also irritates a police officer who tries to arrest him but is saved by George and Harold. The three also witness two robots stealing a large crystal. Captain Underpants tries to stop them, but his cape gets caught on their man. He is dragged to an old abandoned warehouse, with George and Harold clinging to his feet. There they meet Dr. Diaper, who has Captain Underpants tidied up, but George and Harold escape. Dr. Diaper begins powering up his machine to take over the world. George and Harold destroy the robots and free Captain Underpants. Dr. Diaper attempts to stop them, but Captain Underpants covers his underwear over Dr. diaper's face, rendering him defenseless (he has to wear a barrel after that). All four escape the explosion of the Laser-Matic 2000, and Dr. Diaper is taped to the flagpole at the police station. George and Harold have Captain Underpants get dressed into Mr. Krupp's clothes and attempt to turn him back into Mr. Krupp, but they have lost the manual and are unsure how to do so. In desperation, George dumps water on the hero's head, turning him back into Mr. Krupp. However, as the result of that, the Captain Underpants personality remains and Mr. Krupp will turn back into Captain Underpants at a snap of a finger.
Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets
George and Harold accidentally unleash the Talking Toilets on the school and get cornered by them. Ms. Ribble snaps her fingers turning Krupp into Captain Underpants. Captain Underpants then ran around town collecting as much underwear as possible giving the Talking Toilets time to eat everyone at the school. Upon his return to the school, he discovers that flinging underwear into the Toilet's mouths does nothing. After George and Harold realize they can use the Cafeteria food to stop the toilets Captain Underpants uses the last pair of underwear to sling-shot it into the Talking Toilet's mouths.
When the Turbo Toilet 2000 appears Captain Underpants attempts to fight it , but instead gets eaten. Due to the toilet water when the Turbo Toilet 2000 is defeated he spits out Mr. Krupp.
Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outerspace (and the subsequent assault of the equally evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds)
After George and Harold convinced Mr. Krupp to investigate the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outerspace he discovers the truth about the lunchroom zombies nerds however before he can do anything Jenifer snaps her fingers. Captain Underpants then runs away screaming before trying to buy a cheeseburger at a local shoestore implying that he found George and Harold's fight with the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies offensive (as indicated by the warning from the Incredibly Graphic Violence Chapter part 1).
When he returns George and Harold get mad at him for leaving however this doesn't last long as soon the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies tell the Zombie Nerds to hunt down George, Harold, and Captain Underpants. They run onto the roof and sneak into the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies space ship where they find some strange juices (most notably Extra-strength superpower juice). After George and Harold sabotage the ship Captain Underpants tells the boys his plan to swing to safety with toilet paper. When they question if it will hold he reminds them it's two- ply therefore it has to work. George and Harold grab on to his cape to try and stop him, but this just results in them all being pulled out.
As expected the toilet paper does not hold however George and Harold's weight balances out the Cape causing it to function as a parachute allowing them to fall down slowly. As they near the Roof of the School Captain Underpants is grabbed by the Deliriously Dangerous Death-defying Dandelion of Doom while George and Harold land on the school roof. Hoping to save him they decide to give him some Extra-strength superpower juice next time the Deliriously Dangerous Death-defying Dandelion of Doom swings him by. He uses this Extra-strength superpower to easily defeat the Garden Beast.
For the remainder of the book, Captain Underpants stands by as George and Harold cure the Zombie Nerds until at the very end they splash water on his face turning him back into Mr. Krupp as soon as everyone is cured. From now on when anyone snaps their fingers Mr. Krupp becomes Captain Underpants and has super-powers. While Mr. Krupp cannot use his Super Powers because he doesn't realize he has them.
Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants
Professor Poopypants shrinks the school and forces everyone change their names George (now renamed Fluffy) and Harold (now renamed Chessball) find Mr. Krupp (now renamed Mr. Pottybiscuts) and snap their fingers. Mr. Pottybiscuts transforms into captain underpants however Chessball informs him he has been renamed Buttercup Chickenfanny. Captain underpants is upset by his new name and refuses to adopt due to the fact he doesn't take orders from anyone. At that point Fluffy orders him to go get them to Grossy-grow 4000 and he (ironically) obeys. On his way back Captain Underpants has shrunk yet again so that nobody can see him. He gets the Grossy-grow 4000 to Fluffy and Chessball he tries to unshrink the school , but get thrown off. They use the Grossy-grow 4000 to make a large paper airplane to fly on. Minature Captain Underpants then toilets the paper airplane to the ground. As a steamroller comes by Captain Underpants carries the boys away. Afterward Fluffy uses the Grossy-grow to make Captain Underpants big enough to fights Professor Poopypants. When the Professor was defeated George and Harold restored everything (included the Captain) to it's normal size. They forced Captain Underpants to redress and sprayed him with a hose turning him back into Mr. Krupp.
Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman
After getting Fs and Gs as their grades due to the wedding disaster George and Harold try to hypnotize Ms. Ribble to change their grades back. While they're at it they command her not to try to destroy captain underpants or become the wicked wedgie woman. However, as George and Harold failed to realize the 3D-Hypno ring has the opposite effect on women. After becoming the Wicked Wedgie woman, Mrs. Ribble goes to the boy's treehouse to demand they give information on Captain Underpants. During a little fight, she gets some Ultra-strength Superpower juice on her hair giving it Super Powers and making her very intelligent. She uses this newfound intelligence to build Robo-George 2000 and Robo-harold 2000 who are designed to hunt down Captain Underpants and spray starch him so that he loses his powers.
After a kickball game gone wrong, Mr. Krupp snaps his fingers after the robots ignore his orders. This causes him to turn into Captain Underpants. Immediately the robots chase after him. Captain Underpants mistakes the robots for George and Harold and remarks about how happy he is that the boys have Super-powers so that they can fight crime together. They use Spray-starch on him. He is hung by his underwear on a large pole and left trapped. After George and Harold escape they realize he still has his powers he just believes that they've been taken away because of their comics. They try to tell him this , but he won't change his view. After failing to find any Fabric Softener George and Harold make a comic where and force Captain Underpants to read it. The comic explains that as a child Captain Underpants shallower a magic amulet allowing him to instantly fight off the powers of starch. He then returns to his superstate after attempting to comment on the metaphor of the amulet. With his powers restored he destroys Robo-George and Robo-Harold.
When The Wedgie Woman is defeated George and Harold tell Captain Underpants to go to the school get dressed and wash his face. He does that and gets turned into Captain Underpants again.
Depiction in the Film
Captain Underpants is portrayed much the same way as his book self, though he is less intelligent than his book counterpart as he believes that a mime is trapped in a box and he places an old lady in a tree along with her cat instead of helping the cat out of the tree as she wanted. Unlike the books, Captain Underpants acquires his powers after getting bathed in the Nuclear Toilet Water from Poopypant's Great Mech Suit.
- In Book 3, it is revealed that he knows of his missions and heroics in the Treehouse Comix books George and Harold wrote of him. This is likely because, as discovered in Book 1 Mr. Krupp has taken away every issue of their Captain Underpants comics and has them in storage. (implying at some point he has read them all).
- In the film, he reminisces about his missions and heroics as well as reads the comics about himself.
- In the film he remembers, the plunger he used to fight the toilets in book 2.
- Although he has no idea of who his alter ego, Mr. Krupp, is, he knows where his office in the school is, and where his house is located. But in the movie you will see him pretending to be Mr. Krupp but not in a mean kind of way, but nicer like Mr. Krupp in the alternate universe (who is Captain Blunderpants).
- He is the Treehouse Comix books, has on secret identity, so night and day he watches all over the city in case something happens and he will be there, ready to save the day.
- In the Treehouse Comix's version, it is revealed in Book 5 that he is from a planet called Underpanty World. Since the Planet was ending due to the Wedgie Warlords using the giant can of spray starch, his parents named Daddy Long Johns and Princess Pantyhose sent him to earth before the people on the planet perished by the spray starch.
- In the comic, he swallowed some kind of Amulet that was going to be used to protect his home planet from spray starch.
- In the comic books by Treehouse Comix, Inc, his underwear is not just regular underwear, but a special kind he uses, because he can click a button and a roll of toilet paper will come out and he will use is to swing on, or tie his villains up. Or a tiny toilet to squirt villains in the face.
- The metaphor he uses to help restore his powers is "I SUMMON THE POWER OF UNDERPANTY WORLD!"
- George and Harold only learn how to transform Captain Underpants in the end of the book when they splash him in the face with water, unaware at the time that snapping their fingers will turn Mr. Krupp back into Captain Underpants and that it wasn't a permanent solution to returning Mr. Krupp to normal. But in the movie, George and Harold catch on more quickly and even have fun transforming Mr. Krupp into Captain Underpants and vise versa.
- It's unknown how Mr Krupp is able to turn back into Captain Underpants right after he was splashed with water then hears the snap of a finger again, but in the book, if Mr. Krupp's face and/or head is still too wet he cannot change into Captain Underpants unless he's all dry. In the show, even if he is wet not on his head or face he cannot.
- In the last book as the end, Captain Underpants no longer exists in Mr. Krupp's body due to being wiped of his superpowers and the 3D Hypno-Ring effects as he lost the battle with Mr. Meaner aka Sir Stinks-a-lot. This creates a plot hole however because in book 10 when Tippy Tinkertrousers tries to kill Captain Underpants 30 years in the future George and Harold are able to snap their fingers to turn Future Mr. Krupp into Captain Underpants to save his past self.
- Dav Pilkey stated that Captain Underpants may return again in a Dog Man book, however its unknown if his alter ego Mr. Krupp will be hypnotised into being him again, but it might be possible that it might just be in the Dog Man stories instead of the real world and possibly might team up with the titular hero.
- He is based on Superman from DC Comics.
- It is a play on how ' most superheroes look like they are flying around in their underwear'.
- In the movie and show, George and Harold drew Captain Underpants by basing his appearance more like Mr. Krupp's likeness in the comics. But in the books, Captain Underpants is based on another appearance nothing like Mr. Krupp's likeness.
- Captain Underpants sometimes uses anything as his red cape, in Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, he uses the school window curtain and restaurant tablecloth as his red cape with tiny black dots on it, in The Epic Tales of Captain Underpants, he sometimes uses someone's sweater as a cape, or his original cape that's fully red, or his red cape with light red spots on it. In the fourth Season of the Netflix show he'll also use his Space Suit as a cape.
- In the TV Show, Captain Underpants would sometimes or always say "Oooooooo" whenever he finds something so surprising or interesting.
- Captain Underpants and Mr. Krupp have 2 different types of accents in the series, Mr. Krupp's voice is high pitched and hoarse, Captain Underpants' voice is deeper and bolder.
- Captain Underpants looks like a giant baby, due to him bald, and his underwear resembles a diaper, only except he wears a red cape.
- He appears in all episodes in The Epic Tales of Captain Underpants, except for the first episode in Season 2, due to Krupp being fired.
- Superhuman Strength
- The power to overcome Spray Starch
- Wedgie Power
- 100% Cotton-Powered Vision
- Superhuman Durability.
- Unlimited Underpants (Film and TV series)
- Able to survive in space without a suit (TV series)
- Can quote Post-Modernist theory on command
- Water to face (in 'real life')
- Spray Starch (Comic Book)